The nights are now drawing in, mornings are getting darker later, and nights are getting dark early, unfortunately this gives the burglars and intruders the right setting they like to operate in.
At Misty Glaze, we get called out and see the impacts and devastating effect on what a buglary cause, there are lots of ways to prevent and at least try to stop you falling victim to this.
1. Never leave keys in back doors, this is a prime target that burglars prey on, it gives them the easy access in and out of the property by breaking the Glass, most doors are made with toughened safety glass, and this means that it’s all safe for burglars, this glass breaks in lots of little bits, and a big opening will be left to walk in and out of.
2. Always keep a radio or lights on, especially if you know your going to be out all day and night.
3. Dogs are a great distraction, even a simple sign warning of a guard dog can scare a intruder.
4. Cctv, is very good, but if budgets are tight, some simple signs in windows warning that cctv is in operation can be very beneficial, Ebay is a great place to find these signs at very low prices.
5. Glass alarms, these can scare a buglar, a simple device that sticks on the inside of you double glazed window pane, when the glass is touched or attacked, a loud noise will occur, the sensitivity can be adjusted to stop any unwanted distractions when at home.
6. Prikka strips , these are thin sharp plastic strips that can be installed on top of gates, fences, you can even bend them into arch shape for those arched doors and gates. This will stop any intruders from climbing over gates and fences.
7. Purchase some window safety film, this will make the glass harder to break when toughened safety glass is present, this is the cheaper option, Laminated double Glazed units can be upgraded, this is a very good option to stop impact and and break ins.
We have noticed over the last couple of years a big increase in glass units being attacked, the common thing is on aluminium bi fold doors and patio doors, they use screw drivers to bend the profile, leaving metal on the edge of toughened safety glass causes both panes to break, laminated glass would prevent this, they have started operating this way on upvc doors now aswell.